Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Greeted on Arrival

After we said morning “good-byes” to our hosts in Chiang Mai, Thailand, Tutu Bee & Mike and Debbie Flinchum, we flew to Bangkok, a monstrous international airport. As I walked off the plane, I noticed signs held by airline employees welcoming certain guests to Bangkok.

That’s not uncommon. It’s seen in just about every airport these days. In fact, I’ve seen it often enough that I’m not the least bit offended that no sign welcomes me when I arrive after a long flight (ok … it might be nice – but it’s not going to happen!).

These signs were unusual because they appeared just as I stepped off the plane onto the jet-way. They must have welcomed some business or political dignitary. Usually these welcome signs are seen at baggage claim or somewhere outside the terminal.

I instantly thought of our missionary friends from this trip: Kevin and Jill Kane and Kent and Becky Good. Like other missionaries representing Wooster Grace, they left the comforts of American living to take the Gospel to “the ends of the earth.” No sign welcomes them when they walk-off the plane to the jet-way. In many cases there’s no sign to welcome them anywhere at the airport.

But someday, they’ll receive a hero’s welcome in heaven. Jesus Himself will say to them, “Well done, good and faithful servant” (Matthew 25). I hope I get to hold the sign for them!

Pastor Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment