Monday, January 23, 2012

Slimed by an Elephant






Several years ago, I saw the movie, “Beethoven,” with my daughters. The star of the movie is a huge St. Bernard that loves to “slime” his family. (You just have to love dogs to love that movie).

I can beat that! I was slimed by an elephant! Today we sponsored our Grace Place children for a picnic and a visit to an Elephant Show about an hour from the orphan home in Wiang Pa Pao, Thailand.




The children loved feeding bananas & sugar cane to the elephants, watching them shower each other with water from the creek, paint pictures (!), play soccer and dance.




After feeding the elephants, the trainer invites any brave soul to step toward the elephant and be “hugged” by the massive animal’s trunk. I tried it … and that’s when it happened…. I got “slimed” by an elephant! Jim Pike thought it was funny, until I put my offended arm around his neck :-).


Of course, the best part of the day was expressing the love of God to these wonderful children.




They long to be hugged and held in a wholesome way. I can’t help but wonder what would have happened to them just in the two years since Grace Place was built. All would have suffered much hardship, some would have been abused, a few probably would have died.

What an honor to be used by God to express His love to them. I can’t help but think of the words of Jesus, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these” (Mark 10:14). It’s worth it to be “slimed” just for them!!





Pastor Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment